8 Step Guide to the perfect at-home Pedicure
During lockdown there has been a lot of time to reflect on the small things in life we realise now we took for granted. The simple things like popping to the corner shop for one or two things, going over to see friends and family, simply being around people, walking along the street and going into shops to buy clothes for the sunnier weather that's ahead. Our time at home has made us adapt to a different way of living - doing things for ourselves when we thought we would need someone else to do it for us. Facebook pages are filled with videos of people cutting their own hair, making their families a three course, home-cooked 'Come Dine With Me' style meal, and redecorating their homes and gardens.
Another thing I know all of us at Bernard are missing at the moment is going to get our nails done - especially now that the weather is getting warmer and sandals season is incoming. So, we spoke to a professional brow and nail beautician, Megan Clook, to curate a list of how to do your own pedicure at home and her recommendation of the perfect nail polish shades to try out this summer which will have you sandal-wearing ready in no time.
- Soak feet in a bowl of hot soapy water to cleanse.
- Exfoliate both feet using 'Aveda Beautifying Radiance Polish' scrub, soak again to remove and towel dry.
- Push cuticles back with cuticle pusher tool and remove with cuticle nippers.
- Trim and file nails with 'The Gel Bottle 120/180 nail file'.
- Moisturise feet with 'Aveda Foot Relief' moisuriser and massage 'PEACCI' cuticle oil into each cuticle.
- Dry nails by using a cotton pad with acetone one.
- Apply 1 layer of base coat onto each nail, 2 layers of a colour of your choice over each nail and finally a top coat over each nail to finish.
- Leave for 20 minutes to dry.
Megan's extra recommendations are: "As it's a pedicure to do at home I would use normal polish, not gel polish. My favourite brand to use at the moment is 'PEACCI' as the bottles are bigger so last longer and the range of colours is really good. The brand is also vegan and cruelty free which is a big plus." As for colours, Megan says it depends on the season. "As it's Spring/ Summer, people tend to go for lighter and brighter colours: Pastels, white, or tones of pink, corals, light blues, bright yellows and red is always a popular colour all year round too." To get some inspiration on nail shapes and colours for both manicures and pedicures, visit Megan's Instagram @beautybymeganclook and why not even try to be a bit more experimental whilst you're at home and try some of the nail designs she's posted on her page.
Now that your toes are looking prettier than ever, it's time to show them off. What better way than to take a look at our 'New In' sandals that have just landed on our website, waiting for you to put your best foot forward in this summer.