Bernard Bake Off
Our third week of the Bernard Bake Off series features a zesty recipe from Cristina with a classic Lemon Drizzle Cake. All you need is 5 ingredients so it's super easy to do and makes up eight portions to either leave some as a friendly gesture outside your neighbours' front door or...eat all to yourself. Everyone deserves to treat themselves at the moment.
- 225g of unsalted butter
- 300g of caster sugar
- 225g of self-raising flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 lemon
- Leave the butter out of the fridge so it turns to room temperature, adding a little extra to the measurement to grease the tin with.
- Preheat the oven to 180-200 degrees.
- Grate the lemon skin off the lemon to create a zest and then squeeze the juice into a bowl and put to one side.
- Brush a 2lb loaf tin with butter and line with baking parchment. Brush parchment with butter.
- Grab a large bowl and beat together 225g of the caster sugar (leaving 75g) and butter until it turns pale with a creamy consistency.
- Add each egg one after the other until the first one has been incorporated with the rest of the mix.
- Beat in the flour and the zest and then pour the mixture into the loaf tin, smoothing down the top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes in the oven until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, stir together the lemon juice and remaining caster sugar and once the cake comes out, pierce holes into it and pour the lemon sauce over the drizzle.
- Leave to cool completely in the tin and serve when the caster and lemon mixture has turned white.